27 March 2006

Pedantic postal pooh-bah's piddling prevarication prevents prompt proficient passport processing


The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has very kindly sent me a reminder that my passport will expire soon and enclosed a partly pre-printed application form to renew it.

Today, having completed the form and with the required photos (taken by a professional), I went to the Norwood Post Shop to submit my application.

The official who dealt with me

  • Made me sign the form again because my original signature went over the allotted space on the form by a millimetre or two
  • Interrogated me as to whether my height was 188 or 189 cms (does 1 cm matter that much?)
  • Cut a sliver off my current passport (which still has more than 4 months' validity) thereby rendering it invalid, and then
  • Rejected the photos I proffered on the basis that there was a slight shadow visible behind my image.
Despite my belief that my photos complied with the official guidelines , I asked him to direct me to someone with whom I could take the matter further.

He referred me to the DFAT office in Currie St. As it is relatively close and as I had the time (if not the inclination) I proceeded there. After a 1980s moment or five ("take a ticket mate, I'll be with you soon") I was able to lodge my application successfully despite (or perhaps because of) disclosing the obstacles I'd faced at Norwood.

All this shows that there are some significant gaps in DFAT's processes. At the very least the photo guidelines need to be
  • reviewed to ensure clarity, and
  • explained sufficiently to applicants, post office staff and photgraphers who provide passport photos.
It was relatively easy for me, as I live near a DFAT office and was not too pressed for time, to deal with the issue in an afternoon. But what about people who work and live away from capital city CBDs, eg in Port Augusta, Bacchus Marsh or Normanton? Mr Downer, your department needs to lift its game.


No comments: