01 March 2006

On the same wavelength as our outback brethren


In today's Australian Ashleigh Wilson (or should it be Wison - as the online edition spells it?) contributes a Wry Side piece which will resonate with anyone who's ever undertaken a long drive in the outback (or even between the south-eastern capitals). I can't challenge his stats of percentages of drivers who wave and how they do it though I was surprised that so many truck drivers responded to his waves. Last year when I drove down the Stuart Highway my priorities when approaching trucks were to make sure I avoided them and to slow down to avoid being buffeted too vigorously by their slipstream (? is that the right word?). Cars, even those travelling rapidly, generally don't have the same buffeting potential.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smart move! Those road trains on the Stuart Highway, when fully loaded with cattle, are not to be triffled with. A prime mover and three trailers is a big load of steak, indeed.