01 March 2006

Loose canon

I've just come across an Andrew Bolt rant from last week in which he, in the process of firing a few shots in the direction of a few well known (but maybe not to his readers) cultural figures, reveals his own canon (or selection thereof).

"Love the higher arts though I do – murmur sweet things to me of Dickens, Conrad, Parmuk, Borges and van Gogh". What a group; but just a moment, who is "Parmuk"? Surely not the Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk
. If this is the person about whom Mr Bolt invites us to murmur sweet things to him I'd like to know which of his novels he's read, and why he rates him so highly. I've just finished reading Snow. It's a bleak and challenging work, with few "sweet things" which lingered in my mind. This is not to condemn it, quite the contrary, but I wonder whether Mr Bolt admires, as I do, the man for speaking out about the hypocrisies of his native land or whether he genuinely discerns any "higher art" in his work.

No comments: