10 January 2006

Summertime

Here in Adelaide at this time of year we expect it to be hot, and it has been. What do I mean by "hot"? Start with 30 degrees C + and keep it at that level for a few days when old houses like mine absorb so much heat that it's cooler outside than in, except perhaps for an hour or two before dawn. Up north, eg Coober Pedy, Alice Springs, Mt Isa, the temperature most days lately has risen above 40 deg. I've heard some locals from those parts say that they can cope because while it may be hotter the heat is drier (even when the monsoon storms and humidity move down from the north). Hmm.

This makes it sound unpleasant but humankind can bear a fair burden of climatic reality, ie is able to adjust. This doesn't mean business or exercise as usual but a sensible adaptation to the climate.

For my part in the hot weather I make the occasional daytime foray outdoors, usually to head to somewhere such as a cinema or library where I know it will be cool. When I emerge into the real Adelaide world hotbox I find that I can begin to appreciate the benefits of the climate, such as being bathed in warm air, and not having to wear layers of clothing. Unless a hairdryer wind is not blowing there is occasionally a brief cooling zephyr which temporarily mitigates the worst of the heat.







No comments: